Universe Resets

Balrog
Founder

Universe Resets

Postby Balrog » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:25 pm

I intend to start resetting each BNT universe regularly. Universe 1 will be reset on the 1st of each odd-numbered month, and universe2 on the 1st of each even-numbered month. So each universe will be reset every other month, as follows:

Universe 1 - 1 January, 1 March, 1 May, 1 July, 1 September, 1 November
Universe 2 - 1 February, 1 April, 1 June, 1 August, 1 October, 1 December
Balrog
Founder

Re: 2-Monthly Universe Resets

Postby Balrog » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:53 am

I'm going to skip today's reset of universe 1, since I don't think anyone's maxed out yet. I'll probably make the resets less regular, unless anyone posts here suggesting otherwise.
Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:09 am

What about making resets every 6 months, and each universe (server), is reset half way into the others time (so that the reset would happen when the server that doesn't get reset has 3 months in, while the server to reset is at 6 months).
Balrog
Founder

Postby Balrog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Yeah, it's looking like 6 months should be about right. Now there are more players, it's harder for people to max out their stats.
Rincewind

Postby Rincewind » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:19 am

I'd love it if the resets were more frequent to be honest. 6 months is a hell of a long time and I can see myself losing interest in the game and even forget about it (knowing a reset is coming let's say 4 months from the time I get bored.)

I don't see the point of getting maxed. We can't even SOFA or split banks easy either due to game's limitations/new rules. Team work is very limited compared to older versions of BNT where it made sense to have longer games. I'd keep it 2 months and just whoever is highest - wins.
Balrog
Founder

Postby Balrog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Ok, maybe reset every 3 months then? Maybe we could have a different interval for each universe - one on 3 months, one on 6. Another thing I've thought about before is having an extra slow universe where the games are intended to go on for about a year, or indefinitely.
Rincewind

Postby Rincewind » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:45 pm

That does sound interesting, having more than 2 games and indefinite games/1 year games. The only problem I have with it is I'm afraid Universe 1 will again be the only one played. I was the first one to start Universe 2, and for a long time was the only one :( Now I'm sad I suicided in Universe 1

But if you're willing to set it up - doesn't hurt to try it :)

I wonder if there's any way to let planetary transfers / score use INT64 instead of INT32? It would help a lot with bank splitting and score track.
I will ask TheMightyDude over on official forums, he may be able to get a patch done. Also, maybe fix the online status for players.

Thank you for running these games, BTW!
Balrog
Founder

Postby Balrog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Yeah, well I think I have another database slot with our web host, so it wouldn't cost anything to try making another universe and they don't take long to set up. Doesn't really matter if it doesn't get used.

And you're right, switching to 64 bit integers will probably fix the problem, but I'm not sure how easy that would be. I suspect the code would need to be changed in lots of places to make it work, but when I get a chance I'll look into it.
Rincewind

Postby Rincewind » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:51 pm

https://forums.blacknova.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=112

Last post in there is by BNT dev TheMightyDude, he tries to explain why it may not be a solution at all and cause even more problems. Really not sure :) if you do want more help on this issue, try to ask there. He's always been very friendly and wants to help in any way he can.
Balrog
Founder

Postby Balrog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Ah, thanks. I had no idea the BNT forums still existed.

Return to “Blacknova Traders and TradeWars 2002”