Overkill much?

Postby AJFay77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:24 am

"You hit 70699471947 mines!"

:) good thing I left 1B in the bank prior to that
Balrog
Founder

Re: Overkill much?

Postby Balrog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:33 am

Lol, someone really didn't want you to find their planets. And you've just reminded me that I have 9 quintillion dollars in the bank on universe 2 - might have to start playing again soon.

Do either of the universes need a reset yet? I asked on here a while back but not many of the BNT players are using our forums.
AJFay77

Postby AJFay77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:07 pm

I just joined a few days ago. Seemed to be empty enough for new players to have room to grow, but not overly empty either.
It's tough to gauge a reset with the low number of active players.
Balrog
Founder

Postby Balrog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Ah, fair enough. I'll wait until people ask for a reset. Just seems like it's been ages since it was reset, where as people used to ask me to do it every couple of months.
AJFay77

Postby AJFay77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:21 pm

I'm no expert though, I haven't played this since the late 90s and I was a teen then so I didn't know what I was doing lol
Besides what I've seen in the FAQs and the like I don't know what all there is to do in the later game. Guess I'm unsure of the goal(s) once you've got a few planets going well.
Balrog
Founder

Postby Balrog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 pm

It's the same for me actually. I played it a lot in school and then couldn't find a working site for years afterwards. Eventually found working copies of the files so I set up my own game but I never get very far when I play. I spend ages just making planets and collecting money from them, then eventually someone kills me and steals them all :D
AJFay77

Postby AJFay77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 pm

That's a cool story, really neat that games like this can live on in such a way and I'm glad you set it all up as it's much appreciated.
As a game programmer/designer myself I think the late game is the unfinished part of this whole thing, but designing a compelling experience for a potentially unlimited number of players to play in their spare time is quite the task for sure.

Side note I think you should check out the game this is inspired by as it has some AI factions as well. It does play a bit more...archaic, but it's a similar sort of fun and intrigue. 'TradeWars' the 2002 release is the last solid one and still works on newer systems.
Balrog
Founder

Postby Balrog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Ah, I've heard of TradeWars but never played it. Doesn't it run through Telnet? I've thought about making my own game like that actually but I spend most of my programming time working on our MTA (GTA San Andreas) servers, and also I can't do art at all so I'd have to find a graphics designer or use public domain graphics.
AJFay77

Postby AJFay77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:50 am

I'm not sure all the ways to incorporate TradeWars but I know the main one used to be with BBS
I ran my own copy on my own system, not online with others, and played around with it a bit vs the AI aliens. It's at least worth checking out on youtube videos or something I think.
AJFay77

Postby AJFay77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 am

My colonists aren't producing any credits...am I doing something wrong?

Return to “Blacknova Traders and TradeWars 2002”