Changes to Loot Spawning (Experimental)

Balrog
Founder

Changes to Loot Spawning (Experimental)

Postby Balrog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm trying something new with the way loot spawns. It will probably need to be adjusted, and there's a good chance it'll need to be reversed completely, so I've only set it up on the PvE server so far. If there are no problems with it over the next day or so I'll try it on the PvP server too, and we'll see how it goes when its busy.

The way it works is, instead of all the loot spawns being created when the server starts up, the loot in each area only spawns when a player is near it. Outside, it probably won't be noticeable at all, since all the loot should spawn before you get to it (unless you've just logged in), but inside interiors you will notice that the loot will only start spawning up to 3 seconds after you enter, though it will spawn quickly once it starts.

This will cut down quite a lot on the amount of data everyone has to download when they first connect, and I'm hoping it will improve frame rate and general performance on slower computers too, since there will be a lot less elements for them to load at once (unless everywhere's already been explored since the server was started). It's possible that it will cause problems though, most likely frame drops when loot starts spawning in a new area, and possibly even lag spikes when there are a lot of players on. We'll have to see. It's easy enough to adjust or reverse if necessary.

Please post here if you experience problems related to this.
Balrog
Founder

Re: Changes to Loot Spawning (Experimental)

Postby Balrog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:52 pm

This seems to be working fine on the PvE server, so I've copied it to the PvP server and it'll start working later on, when the server's been restarted. Please let me know if it causes problems.

Return to “Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas”